I had a bit of trouble sleeping on Friday night.
I wasn’t worried or stressed, but excited and looking forward to the 2015 Dreams For Kids DC (DFKDC) Holiday Celebration. This year’s celebration was designed to be different from the previous “legacy” DFKDC Holiday For Hope event; this year’s celebration was focused on the abilities of children and youth with physical and developmental disabilities to give back to the less fortunate in their community.
On Saturday, the usual DFKDC participants were transformed into volunteers … they participated in such activities as:
– Wrapping over 300 presents for children served by the DC Metro Adoptive and Foster Parent Association
– Decorating 200+ cupcakes for DC Central Kitchen
– Creating 200+ ornaments and cards for the residents of the Armed Services Retirement Home
– Stuffing 250+ purses with toiletries to benefit Dress For Success DC.
Each volunteer activity was an experience meant to show DFKDC participants that their disability cannot hold them back from performing their own philanthropy!
Another “break with tradition” in this year’s celebration was the recognition of DFKDC’s “2015 Participants of the Year”:
– Jake & Sofia Arbeen
– Adrian Freeman
– Michael Rivera
– Jackson Roth
– Caleb Timmons
The 2015 DFKDC Holiday Celebration was made possible by individuals and organizations in the DC Metro area who are passionate about giving back and being involved in their communities:
– Michael and Son Services, Inc.
– DARCARS Toyota Scion Silver Spring
– McKinley Technology High School
– Guest House Events
– Ferrari & Associates, P.C.
– Delta Produce
– Kitchen Cray
– Coca Cola
– Dynamic Advertising Solutions
– Print OTC
– Gap of Tyson’s Corner Center
– Snapshot Moments
– RePurpose Jewelry
– DJ Art
– Connect the Dots Dance Company
– Tiffany Nickerson and PWMPC
– DJ Philipz and PHILIPZIE